Safety Pointers for Kids
The full Via Potentia program is really intended for adults and more mature youth. "Self defense" for kids is primarily about avoidance, escape and dealing with bullies. Children really have no chance of being able to deal with the power that a full-grown male adult can bring to bear, so there isn't much point in teaching them techniques that are reserved for adults. Instead, we emphasize general conditioning and sport application in the classes for younger kids. This can help them develop strength, confidence and skills that can assist them in school or when dealing with bullies.
Following are some of the mental points that we try to express to kids:
- Be obedient and respectful to your parents.
- It is best to run away from danger, and okay to use violence to protect yourself or escape from someone who is trying to hurt you.
- Never open the door to a stranger, or tell someone when your parents are not home.
- Have a trusted neighbor or relative that you can go to if there is an emergency.
- If someone tells you to keep something secret from your parents, tell your parents immediately.
- If you see a gun, stop, leave the area immediately, and go tell an adult (preferably your parents). Never handle a gun without your parents' guidance and supervision. Same for knives.
- Don't travel alone. Always take a friend with you.
- Adults don't need your help and shouldn't ask for it. Don't go near one that does.
- Eat healthy foods. Avoid soda pops and sweets. Get regular exercise.
We welcome comments, questions and suggestions for improvement.
Via Potentia, in the Kettlebell Rebellion gym located at 1820 NE Evans St, McMinnville OR 97128
Copyright Via Potentia. All Rights Reserved. Consult your doctor before beginning an exercise program; consult a lawyer before making a legal decision. All information provided on this web site or otherwise by Via Potentia is provided for educational/informative purposes only, is subject to correction, and should not be considered legal, medical or other professional advice. Use at your own risk.